Monday, August 9, 2010

The ups and downs of powerpoint

I, for one, love Microsoft's Power Point. Not only is the software easy to use, it is a widely universal and beneficial tool for the classroom. As my fellow MAT students and I demonstrated in our final week of MAT 533 at Concordia University, Power Point can be utilized as an educational tool, and as a personal one.

I thought a prime example of this how I used sound and video in my Power Point presentation. Throughout this entire program we have been asked to create lesson plans, unit plans, projects, assessments and what not detailing specific assignments we anticipate teaching in the future. It was nice to work through an assignment that demonstrated a little but of who we were.

I loved my Power Point on "Jaws." The music to start the Power Point was beneficial because if caught the audience's attention, and I was able to implement my favorite scene from the movie to fulfill my video requirement. Additionally, I thought Jeromy's videos were awesome. Jeromy's Power Point detailed his trip to Laos, and it really gave me a sense of what the country is actually like. At one point he said something regarding the fact that if you thought you knew what the middle of nowhere looked like, you were wrong. And then he showed pictures detailing it.

While these are examples of why I think Power Point is a beneficial educational tool in the classroom, it needs to be used sparingly. It needs to be used minimally and with some restraint. When I was in high school, my classmates and I would create a Power Point presentation and use every bell and whistle we could find to try and enhance our Power Point. We only managed to make the slides as confusing and ridiculous as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment