Monday, August 9, 2010

Dealing With Limited Access

How am I going to deal with limited access in my classroom? I understand and fully realize that, while most students are overly technologically savvy, some students do not have continuous and limitless access to the Internet. I understand this is a realistic hurdle, and will become a problem more in some schools than in others. This is something I need to understand and deal with.

I think I will deal with the lack of access to technology progressively. I will gauge which students have outside access and which students do not and I will adjust accordingly. As far as I am concerned, I will be teaching Language Arts and access to technology and the Internet is critical. I will expect my students to find means of working on their writing projects outside of class.

I feel using in the classroom where outside access is a problem, but an easily surmountable one. Work outside of the classroom is vital for success, and if I am going to prepare my students for college and life after high school, outside work will be necessary for success. I will do whatever I can in my power to provide students with access after school and suggest opportunities. The computer labs on campus are often open and I will provide students with access during class.

I feel if I abandon the use of technology in the classroom because of access issues I will be doing all of my students a disservice. We are living in a technologically advanced world and we are advancing daily. I believe abandoning the use of technology will handicap my students. Although some students might not have outside access, I can't dissuade my students from using technology. What I can do is create new and different opportunities for students who do not have outside access to technology, and I will provide students with in-class work time to afford them ample and additional time with technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment